Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:35:25 -0700
From:         ddes@anet-dfw.com (David Schwarze)
Subject:      Vacuum gauge install

Volks,

I installed (well, sort of) a vacuum gauge on my bus this past week, and thought some of you might be interested in the results.

I started by removing the oneway valve that is just in front of the front engine tin. I replaced the valve with a piece of straight pipe so I could use the original hoses which I had just replaced a couple of months ago.

Moving up to the area of the master cylinder, I removed the short hose that connects the vacuum pipe (which runs the length of the bus) to the brake booster. In place of this hose, I installed an assembly that includes three short pieces of hose connected together by the oneway valve and a tee. So, starting at the brake booster, there is now a short piece of hose (about 2"0, then the oneway valve, then another short piece of hose, then the tee, then a slightly longer piece of hose going back to the vacuum pipe.

The reason I moved the oneway valve up next to the master cylinder is because in order to get the engine vacuum, I had to tap into the line behind the oneway valve, and it seemed stupid to run a second vacuum line all the way up to the front parallel to the vacuum pipe. This seems to have worked fine, and hasn't affected the operation of the brakes.

>From the tee, I hooked up a long hose to a vacuum gauge and fed it through the wheelwell and in through the door for the time being. Didn't want to install the hose under the chassis and up through the floor till I was sure it was going to work as planned.

I started it up and drove around a while. I have two vacuum gauges at the moment, one is a 2-1/16 no-name gauge that reads 0-30 psi in less than a 90 degree sweep. The other is a 4" Sears vacuum gauge that reads in increments of 1 psi over about 270 degrees. MUCH more accurate. The Sears gauge showed a max vacuum of about 20 psi (engine warm, trailing throttle) with a low of about 2 psi (full throttle - does this mean my throttle plate isn't opening all the way?). Normal idle is around 14 psi. The smaller gauge didn't give much useful information because of it's small sweep.

On the freeway, I was happy to see that very slight changes in throttle position produced a noticable change in vacuum. Cruising at 55 mph, I saw around 10 psi on average. 62 mph saw closer to 5 psi, and was getting close to floored. This is going to make a really good MPG indicator. I'm very pleased with this and am going to complete the installation by ordering a 30 psi vacuum gauge from Summit (new style with fibre optic lit needle, $27.95, ) and mounting it in the dash by running the vacuum hose up under the floor at the front of the bus. Despite the great distance in the hose (the hose from the tee to the gauge alone was over 20 ft) gauge response was pretty much instantaneous.

One big problem with the whole setup - the needle of the vacuum gauge vibrates wildly at part throttle. Enough that it was hard to read and even made some noise. I don't think it's a problem with the engine or gauge - I think it's just the result of the engine only producing vacuum during the intake stroke(s). I managed to reduce the vibration by pinching the hose - I was able to pinch it enough so that the gauge still responded quickly but didn't vibrate. My plan is to insert a spare fuel jet into the vacuum line to restrict the air flow down to a very small amount. I figure with all of the different sizes of jets available I should be able to find one that will be just about right.

That's it, have a good weekend everyone.

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) Dallas, Texas, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: ddes@anet-dfw.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (13.986@100.81) or: des@eskimo.com '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) http://www.anet-dfw.com/~ddes '95, '96, '96 cats (Aackkk! Phhttt!) ============================================================================