Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Oct 1996 10:28:58 -0500
From:         cmoran@cswnet.com (Colin A Moran)
Subject:      Vacuum guage

Hello David I have had a vacuum guage in my '86 syncro for about 4yrs now. I decided to run a sereate hose. I did'nt know if there were other devices in-line with the hose to the brake. I have been getting about the same readings that you stated in your post. Idle is about 14 " of Hg and cruise is about 10 "of Hg. Full throttle will not yield O vacuum. There will always be a vacuum, otherwise air would not be drawn into the engine. The erratic fluctuations of the needle could indicate leaky valves. I have read that one of the tools used to analize intake funtion is a vacuum gauge and the book stated that a fluttering reading indicated a valve was not sealing and allowing pressure back into the intake system. By the way vacuum is usually measured in inches of mercury or inches of water. Most automotive guages use the Inches of Mercury " of Hg. I use my vacuum guage to check for changes in the engine performance. If I start to loose vacuum at cruise it usually indicates a t;une up is due. A vacuum guage is a good indicator of overall engine efficiency once you have built up a history of what conditions give what readings. Good luck I think you will be pleased with the guage.

Colin Moran '86 syncro GL 168,000 and still going strong Colin A Moran

K&M Ranch