Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Oct 1996 21:10:25 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@netbiz.net>
Subject:      Seneca Rocks Trip Report

A quick run down as I'm likely the first home, us poor little east coasters got together this weekend for some fun camping VW BSing and some great WV scenery.

In attendance from the list,

me (John Anderson), '81 Westy Tom Forhan and wife and son and dog, '90 Westy Syncro Steven Dolan, '76 hard top Westy (way neat never seen one this late) Sean Bartnick, '78 (I think) Bus Pat Horrocks and dog, '90 Westy Syncro Paul Weiss and SO, '96? Golf GL (OK, not a Bus but he used to own a '79)

Most people arrived Friday afternoon, I got lost in literraly my own back yard in the dark took a 2000 ft vertical and 30 mile detour so arrived a bit late, Tom and family arrived soon after. Set up, talked, went to bed. Saturday woke, some were daring enough to shower, showers warm but shower house well below freezing, must have been a sub 30F night in general. Had breakfast and got ready to finally hike out for the rocks at about 11:30 am. Hiked all the way to the tip top of the rocks for a magnificent view, then back down the back side a real "short cut" featuring the chance to slide most of the way down on loose rock on ones rear end. A lot of flood damage to the Seneca area and some groups of volunteers were doing a wonderful job repairing what they could. Made it back to the camp 4-4:30ish maybe later and basically lounged around started dinner had a community meal featuring excellent chili by Mr Dolan and pasta and salad from Michelle Forhan, pasta from Pat and whatever else we could scrounge up. Sat around the campfire BSing about whatever came to mind then turned in for the night. Sunday morning proved much warmer likely in the 40s so more people dared the showers, we broke camp, said goodbye to Paul and Sarah and the Golf as they had a long trip back. The rest proceeded to Smoke Hole Caverns (WV largest cavern tourist trap) for a tour guided by a true WV native, twang and all then on to Dolly Sods National Wilderness Area. We drove to the top of the Sods (BTW Tom you were probably correct, the tallest in WV is 4800+ feet and Bear Rocks is likely not much lower) walked around the rocks then headed out for home. Pat, Sean, and I split from the others to my home in Keyser, Tom and Steve headed on east on US50. Sean and I removed some idiotic wiring in Pat's beautiful Syncro installed by PO the she and Sean headed out, Pat homeward Sean to blow another day at least camping perhaps on Skyline.

All in all a great weekend, some great people and something we need to do a lot more often. I'm personally up for some winter camping where and whenever.

John Anderson vwbus@netbiz.net

PS sorry for butchering anyones name I'm terrible with them.