Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:51:26 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Syncros, Westfalias, & stuff (was: No Subject)

>Excuse me for being a little uninformed. Can someone tell me what a "Syncro"

Syncro is VW's term for their all-wheel-drive system. In the USA VW began selling Syncro versions of Vanagons & Quantums. Although they were both called Syncro by VW, the Quantum actually used Audi's Quattro system. Other than both of them being all-wheel-drive, they have nothing in common. Since then VW has had Syncro versions of numerous models, but none of them in the USA. :(

The Vanagon Syncro was sold in the USA in model years 1986, 87, 89, 90, & 91 in both regular and Camper versions.

>and "Westfalia" are? Also, did all years come in a camper?

Westfalia is the company that did all of the Camper conversions for VW buses and Vanagons. Many owners call their Vanagon Campers by the nickname Westfalia, Westy, or Westie for short.

>When did the original "Bus" halt production?

The original "bus" was the "microbus" with the split front windshield that was sold until 1967. This era bus is sometimes called a "Splittie", or a "Split window" bus. From 1968 to 1979, VW sold the VW bus with a quite round shape and a 1 piece curving windshield. These are sometimes called "Bay window" buses because of their windshield or "Breadloafs" or "Loafers" due to their breadloaf shape. From 1980 to 1991 VW sold Vanagons, first with air-cooled engines (80-83) then diesel engines (82-83) then with water cooled flat-four gasoline engines (1983.5-1991). The later Vanagons and their engines are sometimes called Wasserboxers (water-boxer) due to their water cooled nature and "boxer" engine layout.

>Is the "Vanagon" an improvement over the bus that you wouldn't consider >owning a bus? I am just atarting to look for a VW van of some kind but I don't know >what I want or whats good to buy etc. I would appreciate it for any input on these >questions.

I've only owned 1987 & newer Vanagons, so I'm not in a position to compare them to older VW buses. I'm quite happy with mine though.

Check out these web sites: http://pwp.usa.pipeline.com/~tforhan/index.html http://www.automatrix.com/~skip/volkswagen/ http://www.oden.se/~fh/TVWA.HTML http://www.chaco.com/~coyote/vw/ http://www.members.aol.com/johnbmtl/westfalia.html

Have fun, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg