Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 1996 02:50:28 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Dirvability

BTDT, but following an article form LIMBO(?) It noted that they tried a 10microfarad cap, but it wasn;t enough, and rec'd a 22uFd tantalum which I put in. Worked just fine, and the 'will not restart for 30 minutes' absolutely does NOT apply (because it never stalls ;) ) Just after I bought the van it was quitting often after 1/2hrs on highway, took 15mins for the fix. Procedure below is too OEM for my tastes though, so here's what ya do..

peel back the rubber boot, way back, and expose the white FI wires. Find #s 2 and 4 and nick them on one side for 1/2" using an Xacto knife etc. Don't nick the copper! Force a small screwdriver between copper and remaining insul. and pull up copper into a U. Tin these with solder/iron and tin the ends of the cap, with a nice blob left on. Then hold the tinned cap against the U and heat while holding. Hold til cool. Then do the other leg of the cap. Pretinning makes life easier, keeps heat input lower and gives best joint. Push everything back flat/neat and wrap carefully with tape then roll the boot back over. Voila, no one knows you were there and you haven't had to fight ripping out the terminal pins and finding new ones. Gotta go add that ground wire soon!!!

Tim Smith