Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Oct 1996 11:46:07 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: Westy safety, click and clack

The Marritzi (?) brothers may have once been a couple of MIT guys but they aren't as young as that description would suggest- they've been around, arround cars at least, for a while. ;) As auto mechanics, they have to take a pretty non-denominational view of cars- VWs (and other German/European) makes rank slightly below average to them since they require regular maintenance. Japanese trade goods which require not much for 100K and a little after than and then reach the end of their economic life are good deals to Tom and Ray and a lot of their listeners. Ford and GM are selling cars now with 80,000-100,000 mile service intervals, other than oil changes. I wouldn't pay much, if anything, for such a feature, but its obviously attractive to the general public in the USA. My friend who warms up his 250,000 mile Honda every time he drives it has spent pennies for maintenance. Our family's similar vintage Golf (II) looked better after 3 years (and certainly for the next 5 until I traded it in on the Corrado ) but required a CV, front struts, radiator hoses, heater core (and subsequent recall) and motor mounts after only 137,000 miles. Both of us enjoyed our cars, and wouldn't have enjoyed the other's car as much. In matters of taste, there is no arguing.

Bill