Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:16:07 PDT
From:         VWNUT@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Re: Achieving high mileage

> I noticed in your .sig that you have reached 300k+ km in your > Westy. I have recently become an owner of an 84 7-passenger with > 160K on the odo. I have also been reading this list for the past > month, and it seems riddled with issues related to durability (*not* > very typical for VW). Would you have any tips on how I can better > my chances at achieving the kind of durability that you seem to have > experienced? > Actually, I bought it this year with 322k already on it, from the single PO. I have receipts since new showing bare minimum (IMHO) maintenance, such as oil changes at factory interval of 12k km using 10w30 oil. He did spend significant $$ on repairs when they were done, but didn't do much unless something broke, as far as I can tell. (the main thing which 'broke' was the tranny at 166k - report says it stuck in high gear & had to be towed in. At that time it was deemed heads were also leaking, so a rebuilt engine and trans from VW Canada was put in $12k before tax!)

Careful reading of records also revealed to me a somewhat carefree approach to the vehicle - ie: driving 4000km+ in less than 3 days after the new engine was in - something tells me there wasn't a gentle break-in done!

As for general durability of VWs, I would rate them very high - I have now had 9 VWs, all but two of which I have driven to over 200k. I use either synthetic 15w50 oil changed at 6-8k, or in the diesel, 20w50 changed every 4-5k. The *only* serious weakness in the Vanagon imho is the waterboxer heads, which is a real pain, but considering the quality of the rest of the vehicle, not all that bad. If I am faced with this problem, I will likely go with a VW inline4 - no big deal.

I think the number of durability issues you see on the list are due to the average age/mileage of the buses - most are 8-10+ yrs old. The difference is a VW owner *expects* to keep his bus in good shape for a much longer time than say a D*dge C*r*van owner. At 8 yrs old, a Caravan is probably on its 4th owner, interior worn out, burning oil, paint peeling, and waiting for the scrap heap.

Shawn Wright (VWnut@smus.bc.ca) '88 Westy (336k) '85 Jetta TD (358k) '69 Wife '97 1st child (! :)