Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:35:44 -0400
From:         TStone8359@aol.com
Subject:      Golf/Jetta powered gas Vanagon

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.2297.emout08.mail.aol.com.845508943 Content-ID: <0_2297_845508944@emout08.mail.aol.com.29883> Content-type: text/plain

Here is everything I know about a conversion

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.2297.emout08.mail.aol.com.845508943 Content-ID: <0_2297_845508944@emout08.mail.aol.com.29884> Content-type: text/plain; name="CONVERS.LTR" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Let me share everything I know about this conversion. =0D First, the only conversions I have seen to date are replacements of diese= l engines in Vanagons with Golf/Jetta GTI/GLI engines. I have seen two, talked with the owners, and both were very happy with the conversions. Several items I noted from this conversion. The transmission used with t= he diesel engine is too low geared for use with the gas engines, so the tran= s from a gas Vanagon should be used. You need to retain the bell housing f= rom the diesel transmission though. The oil pan, dip stick, oil pump,flywhee= l, clutch, exaust, must be moved from the diesel to the gas engine. The fue= l injection system was taken (in one case) from an 82-84 Rabbit. This is a=

relatively simple system with no computer. Some fabrication work needs t= o be done to make the intake and fuel distributor/air cleaner hook up. I beli= eve that in one case, pieces from a Toyota were used. One owner apparently had the cold start injector hooke= d up to be used normally. The other has a switch on the dash that activated t= he injector when needed. Both claimed that the vehicle would go faster that= was considered safe, got excellant gas mileage (mid 20s and more), and was extremely reliable. Weight difference should be negligible. =0D The conversion I would like to do is move the parts listed above from the=

diesel engine, plus the motor mounts, splash pans, accelerator cable, fro= m the diesel Vanagon, over to a gas Vanagon. I assume that all the parts w= ill fit. Its just a matter of coming to terms with the differences between t= he diesel and gas Vanagons. Some differences are location of the battery, location of coolant tank, fuel tank connections and fuel pump/filter, etc= =2E I have found a place I can buy the parts in California, but the cost is bey= ond my budget ($1200 used). The guy that would sell them does diesel engine upgrades. He installs 1.9 liter diesel engines in diesel vanagons. He a= lso does a turbocharged version. He has not done the diesel to gas conversio= n in either a diesel or gas Vanagon, but would like to. If anyone would like = his name and number, let me know. =0D Of the two diesel Vanagon to gas conversions that I have seen, one was do= ne by Elmar Kruza in Streetsboro, OH. Streetsboro Foreign Auto (330) 626-24= 56. The other was done by the owner who has his own VW repair business in Tennessee. I don't recall his name, but he was associated with the Appalachain VW Club headquartered in or near Sevierville, TN, I think.. = Both Vanagons were at the German AirSucker Society show in July. I also saw on= e of them at the Bug Out in Manassas, Va. in May and at the Cincinnati VW Club=

meet in Sept. =0D I believe the conversion will work. I just need a donor vehicle to make = it happen. If anyone knows of one that is complete but has a blown diesel engine, for example, let me know. =0D Tom =

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.2297.emout08.mail.aol.com.845508943--