Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Oct 96 07:31:56 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: busses, environment, etc. - stats?

nah. it was Lady Godiva passing by behind me. ;)

>Which of course is true when you buy any *other* manufactured product, thus >proving that you are "causing" incalculable pollution when you buy a pack >of gum or pay your mortgage. I think Uncle Joel's message is genius for its

ohmagod! Thoreau was right!!!! ;) we should all just go live naked in the woods!!!

hey! are you calling me an absurd genius?? or just a bsurd? and just what the hell is a bsurd, anyway??

>absurdity, which I'm sure is intentional. People get hysterical about this >(which should tell you that there is more emotion than reason at work and >should make any conclusion automatically suspect) (except mine of course

1. if the facts are against you, argue the law. 2. if the law is against you, argue the facts. 3. if the facts and the law are both against you, call the other fellow names. :) <the Huey P. Long School of Law and Politics>

>--Pollution is benign. Pollution *in concentration* is dangerous, possibly

well, of course, silly. what do you think those pastures surrounding a beseiged fort smelled like after 10,000 horses, men, cattle, oxen, and various other forms of humanity and animal had ate/slept/shit/piss out there for x number of months?? how bout the Thames River in london waaaay back when? :) when people invited cities, they invented pollution. at least, the modern form of it, anyway.

>that I am merely interested in prosecution for its own sake. Crimes against

... or that you are a lawyer looking for work and a paycheck. :)

>--If you want to pollute less, those of you who are carbeurated can burn >alcohol (which becomes nothing but CO2 and H2O) with no modification but a >change of jets. This will run you $7-10 per gallon, which is expensive

which is ridiculous, considering that alcohol is extremely much easier and cheaper to make than gasoline. you can make alcohol out of any wooden waste products! out of garbage, even. you know, you could buy cheap wines cheaper than $7/gallon! :) course, the only problem is that alcohol tends to corrode parts of the fuel system, it also absorbs water like crazy, and it doesn't give as much "ommph" as gasoline. oh, and if it catches fire, you can't see it as well, so you are burning and don't know it. but it would still be "better" in the pollution side of things that gasoline.

>just stirring the pot. This thread has been admirable because it could have >been a flame war, but wasn't. I'd hate to see that tarnished.

well, if you dump all that alcohol on it, it's gonna get tarnished ... what with the corrosion and all. :) and who you calling a "pot"??? that's a "shed for my tools"!! ;) and in any flame war, gasoline would win: bigger, hotter, more readily visible. alcohol just doesn't stand a chance. besides, any oil company is bigger than any corn/grain/alcohol company. so it seems we'll be driving around on gasoline, polluting and fouling our own nest and enduring more government regulations and bureaucrats for many many years to come. :(

joel