Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Oct 1996 10:24:56 -0600
From:         Ken Wyatt <nrogm.kwyatt@state.ut.us>
Subject:      Fire warning #1201

Hi Listees, I just returned from my favorite junkyard, not really my favorite but the cheapest I have ever seen. Normally they do not have buses there but I salvaged a vanagon last month for parts. It has been in my carport the whole time consuming my life. Well last night I finished stripping it out and rolled it out onto the road for the junk yard to come and pick up. That was fun with two independent front wheel. (no steering or brakes). Luckily two neighbors came out and helped me as they want it out of there also. I sure learned a lot about how the vanagons are built by tearing it all apart.

Today I was passing this junkyard and stopped in to tell them I was finished with the old and they were welcome to come haul it away. Whole there, I noticed a new line of VWs. Three Vanagons, and one 70s style bus (Not sure of the year). These were all new since last month. Anyway to make the story short, of the four vehicles two had been burned, one vanagon and the bus. I bet the bus. owner was heart broken as it looked as if it had a good paint job. It was toast, no pun intended. Both had been fairly well consumed. SO IF YOU LOVE YOUR BUS/VANAGON/WESTIE YA BETTER PROVE IT BY CHECKING AND FIXING THOSE FUEL LINES. nuff said.

BTW, the 70 bus still had some good items on the front. ie chrome around lights, parking light, etc. I snagged a complete grill, an exterior door handle (the vanagon one that likes to break off and costs about 85 bucks), and two hubcaps all for a whopping 20 bucks. I feel good about that.

Another note, one vanagon was filled with what I thought looked like old bug parts: trans, bumper, lots of clean engine parts and who knows what else. I didn't have much time to see it all.

REMEMBER: You have been warned!!!!!!!! (more than once on this list) have a great day! Ken 82 westie