Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:59:53 -0400
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@usa.pipeline.com>
Subject:      Re: Front Bumper (Syncros especially)

Catch up time for other listmembers:

The approach angle of Syncros, or other vanagons for that matter, is a limiting factor off-road. If you need to get up a steep hill or curb or rock, the bumper can make contact before your wheels start to lift the entire vehicle. The late models with the fiberglass bumper shells are the worst offenders because the molded in license plate frame drops down below the rest of the bumper, and catches first. (This presumes one has already taken off the airdam, either with tools -three minute job- or with a curb, a three-tenths of a second job.)

Derek and I have both crunched our airdamless front bumpers up pretty nicely off-road. I'm sure there are others of you out there. Derek's subsequently took a sawzall to the offending license plate frame, which is a good, functional modification.

After Derek's plea for a front bumper, I wrote him directly, suggesting a little custom fiberglass work, since I'd like a little more finished appearance than the sawzall modification.

My proposal is to get:

>a fiberglass shop to cut out the license plate >area, and reshape that area into the contours of the >rest of the bumper.

Do it once, or do it twice, or have them make up a mold to make more units if there is demand.

Anybody else interested? Anybody know a fiberglass wizard? (I'm highly allergic to this stuff, BTW.)

Derek also proposes -if I get this right- a massive silicon shock absorber between the bumper part of the body and the fiberglass bumper shell. This should provide great impact protection!

Comments, please!

Tom F.