Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Oct 1996 13:19:35 PDT
From:         VWNUT@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Re: CV joints/axles- new vs. rebuilt?

Joel said: > it's remotely possible that you have a bad motor mount and some whirling > part of the engine (like a belt or some such) is whacking on something > else as the engine tilts during accleration. the cv ought to make > tok-tok-tok or knok-knok-knok noises. imho. sort of. maybe. I hadn't thought of motor mounts... The noise is a knock-knock, which increases in volume as the throttle is pressed. Going up a hill is very loud, coasting was fine. It *seemed* to be related to road speed not engine speed, although I can't be certain. Noise went away completely after 15 minutes of highway driving, so now I can't really check it again.

Thanks for the tips.Shawn Wright (VWnut@smus.bc.ca) '88 Westy (336k) '85 Jetta TD (358k) '69 Wife '97 1st child (! :)