Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:50:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Brian Lazara <brian@wrs.com>
Subject:      Advice, 80 vanagon

Hi,

I took my 1980 vanagon pop-top to get smog checked and I get a call back the next day saying that there was something wrong with my emergency brake and that the transmission was "stuck between gears". When I told them I had just had the rear breaks replaced they said "oh, we'll get our buddy over here who works on these cars and get back to you".

After a couple of days I get a call and they say that the transmission needs to be re-built for $650! I asked the mechanic if anyone had driven the car with the emergency break on or mis-handled it because there wasn't any indication of a problem before. He hemmed and hawed something about the gear indicator on the stick being off, but I have to talk to the owner of the shop.

Do these transmissions normally just go without indication? Are they that fragile that a little mis-treatment would bust them, or is likely it was about ready to go anyways. Is $650 reasonable? I don't have the time or inclination to do it myself.

Thanx in advance for any advice, Brian L.