Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:03:29 -0700
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      (f) Re: varmit update

...or stupid things...

I used to have a '57 singlecab. Now the heaters on these things were not real swift in their new days, and like many splits, mine were non- functional. Eventually I put a '72-era motor in, with all the goodies including that amazing fresh-air heating system I always dreamed of! With some careful fabrication, I connected the heater boxes to my rather different-sized heater channels, got all the cables run, overhauled the little knob-screw control, fixed the defroster lever can-thingy...

No heat. Damn. Well, maybe a pitiful amount, certainly no more hot fresh air than the old oil-fume-pumping-stale-air heater gave. Well, I sent all the air to the defroster that cold morning, and drove off wiping a little peep-hole on the windshield.

Here comes the hill! Downshift, and rev that puppy up! The twin Webers and 1835cc's realy do pull an old singlecab well. Well, that is, until I'm blinded and attacked by 20 years of mouse nests and pine seeds blasting out of my defroster vents at mach 2! I stop off the side of the road, and get out looking much like Robin Williams the first time we see him in Jumanji.

I guess them mice found that open pipe under my truck as a haven all those years, a silo, bedroom, birth-center free-from snakes VW mousie paradise.

Till it's death last year, I could only stand to run that heater sometimes -- it really cooked the bitty cab on that truck. I'd hear about the little wimpy VW heaters, and smile, knowing that they really could pump out some significant heat into a small volume. With significant force.

malcolm (who slightly bends the facts to make stories more interesting... sometimes)