Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 03 Oct 96 09:38:00 E
From:         "Lebron,Nathan" <nlebron@troy.cobe.com>
Subject:      WInter is coming and I don't want no trouble!

Well now that winter is coming to the northeast, Albany-NY, I am getting ready to look over my babie so that I don't get stuck on my way down to NYC on party weekends.

1-Towards the end of last winter, after running low on coolant, the VW dealer in my area did a compression test which confirmed a head gasket leak. The warmer weather came and the leak stopped ( well at least the two ounces of green stuff on the ground every cold morning). I have since put on the van about 8K miles and its working fine. However, the leaks have come back with the same frequency as before. Anything I should look out for?

2- Last night I was driving back from my girlfriend's place when I noticed that the lights on the dash were getting dimmer and brighter from time to time. It seemed like it flickered from dim to bright every time I went over rough pavement. Am I looking at a new alternator or just making sure the cabling ends are touching properly?

3- and BTW I got brand new tires all around. Goodyear Interceptor 215/70/14 with that water channel. Not one of those super ply tires but nevertheless a pretty good tire. My vehicle seems to be a little slower at pick up (or maybe I am not used to driving on good tires) but the handling improved significantly. My babie travels on the highway pretty smooth and under wind I don't sway as much, nor do I feel like I am going to tip over when making turns. I went to Goodyear because Sears refused to sell me any tires not recommended by VW, you know, the bike tires-185/70/14. Paid about $62/each

Thanks, Nate El Great 85 GL 152,4?? Miles on original craniums.