Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         18 Oct 96 11:55:15 EDT
From:         "Turner,Ronald L." <102660.66@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Copy of: Re: Bus drivers and waving.

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

>From: Turner,Ronald L., 102660,66 TO: Hotch, INTERNET:hotch@netaxs.com DATE: 10/18/96 5:34 AM

RE: Copy of: Re: Bus drivers and waving.

There is, (and always will be) an "animosity" that some aircooled drivers feel toward the watercooled drivers. The watercooled Vanagons are not in the same "cult class" as the aircooled buses. I've been ridiculed by a couple of my die hard splitty friends for having a watercooled vanagon. They tell me to "drive a real bus" and would sooner give the middle finger to a vanagon driver who waved at them. This is why if I were driving my Vanagon, I wouldn't even bother waving at aircooled buses, but if I were driving my '77 or my '67, I would. Aircooled bus drivers have sort of a "cliche" (sp?) that watercooled Vanagon drivers will never belong to. It all stems back from the whole "simple" aircooled bus, easy to work on, etc and the people who drive them everyday, as their daily driver. To some diehard aircooled enthusiasts, the Vanagon does not imply anything "simple", and they percieve the drivers of them are more of the professional ( ie. "yuppie") / don't do any of their own work- types. Believe it or not folks, this is true ,and you know it. THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, I am just stating the facts. This list split into seperate aircooled and watercooled lists, right? Some shows I've been to have been aircooled only shows - no waterpumpers allowed. (just to set the record straight- I have a '67, a '77 and a '87 VW vans , so I am not biased to any which one, regardless of body types or engine cooling methods. ) While I completely realize not all aircooled drivers feel this sentiment, it does exist, so unfortuneately air and water will never really mix. That's just how it is, and that's a reason vanagon drivers don't get many waves from the aircooled bus drivers.

chris