Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 03 Oct 1996 13:49:09 -0500
From:         "Mark St. Andre" <mark@avalon.net>
Subject:      1987 Head gasket, replace once or more?

To anyone or everyone,

I have stumbled upon an 87 GL wasserboxer Wolfsburg edition that my wife and i are very interested in. I am asking your collective opinion about whether you think it is a good deal, a good year/model, and/or a good investment. Of course, all of those things go on the backburner compared to how bad I really want to own a Vanagon. I have not owned one yet, but both my wife and I grew up being carted around the country in VW buses, and we would like to continue the tradition.

Specifically, I wondered what opinions are about replacing the head gasket. Obviously it needs to be done, usually around 50K, right? But, does the problem reoccur every 50K, or is once good enough, particularly if they do a good job--which I am not too clear on. The guy who is selling says only once, but my Dad says it is periodic. who is right?

Here are specs:

1987 Vanagon Camper (no pop-top, just fold down bed in back) Wolfsburg Edition, Euro Model (captain chairs and chairs directly behind the front seats), New wheels (thick looking ones, don't know what they call them), new brake discs and pads, head gasket replaced at 70,000 miles, exhaust system replaced some time soon after that, 2.1 litre water cooled engine, automatic transmission am/fm cassette with sweet speakers, power locks and windows and an alarm system that is not currently activated but could be, air conditioning that apparently works like a charm, 107,000 miles, mostly in california, no rust to speak of, and most importantly, heated mirrors :)

$5,500 (book is 5,900)

opinions? sorry so long,

Mark St. Andre mark@avalon.net '87 Jetta GL '86 Golf