Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:26:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Cetin  Seren <cseren@fore.com>
Subject:      EV Battery goes out with a BANG!!!

Yes, it happened.

My wife was parking the EV in a shopping plaza and a _very_ loud explosion happened in the engine compartment. She ran out, fumes, etc, leaking fluid under the engine compartment, in short, mayhem....

She calls me, (instead of AAA -- when will she learn??? :-) and afterwards remembers to call AAA. I arrived before AAA truck. Just popping the hood was enough to see what happened. The plastic battery compartment guard saved a lot of damage. There we schrapnel-like pieces of hard plastic & metal everywhere inside the battery compartment. No burn marks, so it was not a Hydrogen-Oxygen explosion.

Disconnected the battery remnants, jump-started the EV from my trusty '87, and drove it to the dealer (for Eric Z.'s benefit: Billco VW). They were not helpful.

Conversation (between me an svc. person)

Me: - Hello. My EV's battery exploded I need some help. Svc. Person - the mechanics leave at 4:00 P.M. and it is 4:25p.M. now Me: - I think this should be covered by VW of A, that's why I need someone VW will recognize to look at it -- sort of be a witness. By the way, who's that guy in the shop witha mechanic's shirt on? Svc. Person - He's a Mazda Mechanic, he cannot help you. Me - OH?!!! Svc. Person - You need to call VW of A yourself. Me - You mean you will not call VW of A for my problem? Svc. Person - That's not the way we work. I can dial the number for you. Me - O.K., thanks.

(Svc. Person Dials, hands the phone to me)

VW of A - Hello, this is VW of A, can we help you?

Me - Thanks, I hope so... (I tell my story).

VW of A - We're sorry, sir. Batteries are a maintenance item and are not covered under any warranty.

Me - Ma'am, batteries are considered maintence items when they behave predictably, and when they eventually die. When they explode for no good reason (as opposed to being thrown into fire or being shorted across terminals with a wrench) they fall into the 'defective part' category, and the vendor, in this case VW of A, is responsible for replacing them.

VW of A - I'm sorry, we cannot help you. You need to get your vehicle's electrical system checked by the dealer, and according to their report we might decide to give you a new battery.

Me - Are you expecting me to pay for the check-up?

VW of A - Yes.

Me - I'm not willing to pay for it. No electrical system problem should be able make a battery blow up. I'll get the Electrical system checked _if_ you agree to pay for the battery.

VW of A - Sorry, we cannot do that.

Me - This is a perfect example of why VW loses so many customers. I'll escalate this problem.

(at this point, I took the tracking number for my call and hung up, jump-started the EV from my '87 again, drove it home, put the battery of the '82 Diesel Westy into it, everything seems to work fine).

It would cost me a lot less time & aggravation to just buy a decent battery and use it, but, well, sometimes they push the wrong buttons...

I'll write more as things progress...

Cetin