Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:15:35 -0400
From:         RonaldK898@aol.com
Subject:      89' Vanagon GL sputtering, stalling

Hi Y'all... Any good shadetree or otherwise pro mechanics to help me? My 89 Westy has one serious problem.that needs fixin'. Presently at 80,000 miles. Engine starts great, idles okay, though sometimes, it surges slightly when cold.. I take off, and as engine warms up, and needle on temp gauge comes to middle showing warm, I start having difficulties. At each stop... for next few miles, engine sputters and almost stalls as I tenderly hit gas , or try to accelerate... The oil light on the dash lights intermittanly, as I almost stall out. I throw gear (auto trans) into neutral, and gingerly apply gas, and somehow bring back RPM's, until I feel confident to throw into drive. Sometimes, the engine does okay from there... sometimes, continues to stall. When it stalls completely, I'm able to restart right away, however the problem stays... After driving on open road, or some further miles, problem seems to go away.

I've got a new ECU, I've changed coolant temp sensor, new fuel filter, and Idle stabilizer valve is working okay.... where's my problem? I've gone through the archives, and noted some similiar problems with ignition coil as possible cause. One tech bulletin even suggested it could be the oil pump causing valves to hang open. HELP! Any ideas, or similiar experience and remedies would be helpful!

Ron katz, Owner of White Cloud (89 Westy), and Caretaker of Mikey, The Genuine, Original Ozark Mountain Wonder Dog... Germantown, Tennessee