Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         20 Oct 96 20:15:15 EDT
From:         "William A. McKinley" <75112.2101@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      '72 Camper (non-Westy) FS in Milwaukee

Hey All:

I just checked out a '72 (Deluxe?) van that was converted when new to a camper by Contempo Camper somewhere in CA. It has a double bunk upstairs, but this isn't a pop-top. It has a permanent fiberglas shell that adds about 32" to the height of the van (the only really negative thing about this van). It looks like it was originally some kind of higher level of trim (Deluxe?) than VW sent to Westfalia. It has the chrome (aluminum?) body molding, two tone paint (orange bottom, white top), heating ducts on the front doors (rendered useless by the refrigerator (12v 120v Norcold)/stove (LPG, 2 burner) behind the passenger, and the closet behind the driver, which also has a LPG heater in it). The layout in the rear continues with a rear-facing jumpseat behind the closet (behind the driver), low sink to the left of the sliding door resulting in the fold out bed facing foreward and up against the left side of the van. There is storage in addition to the closet beneath both seats, under the sink, above/behind the sink, and above the driver/passenger area (remember the fixed hightop. There's a lot of luggage space up there). LPG tank (rusty on the outside, looks like it's probably OK, but I'd definately have it checked) is under the slider. Looks like it probably holds about 2 gallons. Jalousy windows left and right, but non-westy. Only two panes of glass each, and they're screwed on through the outside. Not real smooth. Screens intact, tho. Why's it parked? Bad front brakes. Those '72 calipers are about $250 EACH for new ATE's, and the brake booster is about the same. Owner claims brakes worked, just were metal to metal. Could be a fairly cheap fix. It's been sitting a year, tho. Claims 27K on a rebuilt engine (151K for the van), which looks all original with the exception of the distributor (only a single vacuum line here). All smog equipment appears to be intact. Claims it runs good. General condition? The body is virtually rust free with these exceptions: Minor rust bubbles under the windshield rubber. Minor rusty spots on front skin from rock chips. Battery trays rusty, but intact. The body is straight with these exceptions: LR quarter panel has a minor dent down low. Engine lid has a minor dent. Rear bumper dented near the middle, but easily straightened. All window glass is good, even the windshield. All lamps are good with these exceptions: LR marker broken (where the dent is). Rear tailight lenses minorly cracked, but very clear (OEM) and serviceable. Paint is oxidized overall, and there's those rusty paint chips up front. If the whole thing was rubbed out and the front skin was repainted, the van would look very good even with the dents (except for that @#$!-ugly hard top. Maybe it could be removed and a sliding ragtop installed? Hmmm...). On to the interior. Sheepskins on the front seats, the upholstry underneath is probably ripped/worn. Dash has the obgligatory cracks at the passenger grab bar. Floor mat is good, but the rubber up over the wheel wells is falling apart (I was suprised to even see it). The cabinets were pretty cheap from the get go, and they're falling apart. I would probably trash them, or replace a lot of the parts panels. The upper bunk is wide open for when you're not sleeping (kind of like a Westy with the top up, standing headroom), and part of it slides foreward to make it long enough to sleep on (kind of like the early Eurovan Westy Weekenders). It all seems to work, but is really ragged, same for the upholstry.

All in all, this is an all original professionally (only because they got paid for it) converted unrestored camper with an uncommonly straight and rust free body. If I bought it I would strip the camping gear and use what I could in my Westy (maybe the 'fridge), find seats and a sliding ragtop and restore it as a station wagon. They have an advertised price of $2500 =8-0 in the paper, but I have a feeling they will go down about 50%, considering it doesn't presently start (claims needs battery, I found that the ground was poorly connected and pointed it out to owner) and needs brake work. My gut feeling is that it could be made to drive for under $600 with new calipers, much less if it just needs pads/rotors. There was brake fluid in the resevoir, and no evidence of leakage at the calipers.

I'll be happy to do legwork for anyone who may be interested. E-mail me privately for any details I may have left out. I'll probably be checking it out again this week, to see if it'll start and if the 'fridge works.

Andy McKinley 75112.2101@compuserve.com '72 Westy