Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 1996 0:54:36 +0000
From:         gmceachn@usa1.com
Subject:      Re: oil leak from crankcase vent?

>From: Self <> To: type2@PRIMENET.COM Subject: Re: oil leak from crankcase vent? Reply-to: gmceachn@usa1.com Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:10:21

I originally posted this on the type 2 list and they suggested I post it with you guys. I own both a water cooled and air cooled Vanagons so I guess I need to be on both lists.

Here is my dilemma...

My '84 GL Vanagon has been leaking oil during and for a short time following each use. It doesn't leak once it's cooled down. It doesn't seem to be coming from the pushrod or valve cover area. I thought it was the rear main seal at first because it was dripping from the junction of the engine and bell housing. There is, however, no oil over the automatic transmission's torque converter which a mechanic friend agreed would be the case if it were the rear main seal. Upon further inspection I have found some oil sprayed against the front of the engine compartment on the passenger side apparently from a leaky hose that passes through it (behind a couple of coolant hoses). I haven't been able to find this hose mentioned in my Bentley Manual and I don't understand the function of it. Also... I have found oil in the rubber bellows that connects the air sensor box and the crankcase ventillation hose into the throttle body. The intake appears to be sucking some oil through the crankcase vent. I haven't found any information on the crankcase vent. I'm also having a problem where my fuel injection system isn't going "closed loop" and so it's running real rich and my gass mileage is the pits (10 mpg).

On the FI problem I've ohmed out all the connections from the ECU (temp sensors switches etc), tested fuel pressure and replaced the 0-2 sensor. All okfar as I could tell. Compression is 125, 125, 150, 150 and the vacuum arrears normal according to the mechanic who's looking at it now.

Could all these things be related? Could the hose that appears to leaking oil be some sort of crankcase ventilation or (automatic) transmission hose? Where does it go to/come from and what is its function? If the crankcase ventilation were obstructed could pressure build up while the engine is operating that could force oil out through this mystery tube?

And while I'm asking...What is the meaning to life, the universe and everything? I'm not asking too much am I?

I'm scratchin' my head on this one and I don't have much hair left!

Any insight provided on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Gary McEachern gmceachn@usa1.com '82 '84 GL Vanagons