Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:33:29 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Rustworthiness

>How well rustproofed/undercoated are Vanagons in the 87-91 vintage. I

Well rustproofed with a sort of golden tacky/clear goop. Check the engine compartment to get best idea. All years were treated same. Plus thicker painted over sealant trowelled onto wheel well seams. Vanagons do well against rust due to the body cavities all being well vented. You can aid this greatly by buying a good spray rustproofing oil. DON'T use a tar based/ruberized type coating on any inside cavities, only on visible underbody/wheel wells. Tar traps moisture in seams and will lift, creating a water trap!!

Get an oil that says it stays loose, sticks/spreads/seeps into all seams. Rust areas beyond the exterior seams are the seam under the front seatbelt mounts, top of wheel well. Also take out glovebox and check up under wipers/windshield area. The floor seams, about 4" in from outside rust/bulge up. As does the floor where it sits on the main beams fore/aft. Basically any area that holds dirt/water and tweaks a bit to grind it all in will rust eventually.

We have an incredible amount of winter salt. Can build up frozen slush running boards full length of van in no time. Oil spraying annually with $7.00 tins (3-4) is what I use. Pressure wash the wheelwells and let dry a day or two. Scrape off loose/flakey undercoat with stiff 1" wide putty knife. After oil soaking the wheel well seams/every where and letting that seep for a day I spray the entire wheel well with a rubberized/tar based undercoat/rockerpanel sealant. This keeps down the road rash damage and 'revitalizes' the factory undercoating. Do this every other year, a fall tradition. We also sand the roads heavily, your roadrash may nort be as bad. Maybe do every 3rd-4th year. Wear a hat/glasses/mask/gloves/old clothes, tar overspray sucks.

I've also stripped out all interior fittings/panels and sprayed all the bare metal cavities of the entire vehicle from inside. OK, so I'm nuts, but I've had too many vans evaporate from under me after 5 years.

Homebrew spray can be made with chainsaw oil and paraffin wax, heated together (carefully) in a double boiler and sprayed on hot with a pump up sturdy garden sprayer, tacky and seeps, but the oil is NOT an active rust treating type. Good luck. Tim