Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:41:11 -0700
From:         Michael Harris <mharris@kirk.microsys.net>
Subject:      1986 Vangon Cylinder head leaks - repair / Vanagon parts

Hi all. Today while driving my 1986, I noticed the temp. warning light flashing (!) so I pulled over & stopped - noticed a stream of coolant coming from the passenger side head :-( The engine had not overheated - the light just came on because the coolant level became low in the reservoir. Anyway, after having the Vanagon towed home, I removed the engine (quite easy) and now have it to the point of having both cylinder heads off. There is a LOT of really bad pitting on the passenger side head sealing surface, and less on the drivers side head - though there still is some pitting. So I need to have the heads repaired - can someone recommend a place that will rebuild heads? Do the rebuilt heads include new valves/guides? Also, where is a good (cheap) place to buy VW parts (say a mail order business)? I am thinking of replacing the water pump now as it has a little play in the bearing - and of course will need a gasket set. Last question - when I removed the heads, the barrels were stuck to the head, so came out of the case somewhat when I removed the head. Should I now remove all the barrels completely to replace the gaskets/sealing rings for the coolant jacket? Is it difficult to compress the piston rings to replace the barrels?

Thanks for ANY help! regards MIKE 1986 Vanagon