Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:24:15 -0500
From:         Tim Wise <wise@ses.com>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: Re: 86 GL - Gas Tank Problem

At 09:03 AM 10/22/96 -0500, Thomas D. Hanlon wrote:

>Ditto on the grommets, HOWEVER, there is that plastic pipe with two >fittings on each end which attaches to the hoses connected to the vent >tanks. There is one vent, or expansion, tank on each side of the vehicle. >Each iof these tanks is accessible, by hand, from the wheel wells.

I just replaced the "crossover pipe" on my 87 van with help from the archives for this mailing list. One of the Y plugs into the top of the tank was cracked. Also all of the hoses connecting the Y plugs to the expansion tanks were nasty. I drove for months filling to no more than 12 gallons.

Thoughts: - There are two hoses from each expansion tank. One goes to the Y plugs and the other goes ...?? don't remember. See the Bentley pictures. - You don't have to drop the tank to replace the crossover tube and the hoses from it to the expansion tanks. - If you need to replace the other hoses from the expansion tank (the ...??? ones), you may need to drop the tank. - Jack the front of the car up to drop the wheels this allows access to the Y plug on the passenger side. I couldn't access the Y plug on the driver's side from the wheelwell. - I accessed the Y plug on the driver side by removing the spare tire and crawling up under the front of the car. You can see both Y plugs from there. You can also see what's leaking if you get up there when filling the tank. - Remove the hoses connected to the expansion tanks, then pop out the Y plugs and thread the crossover tube out. Pay attention to how it threads over the top of the tank. - I put the grommets for the Y plugs into the tank before pushing the Y plugs in, putting a good amount of spit on everything beforehand. - If you do drop the tank, remove the hoses at the expansion tank first. Also, crawl up from the spare tire area and unclip the crossover tube. It's on a hanger, u-shaped clip. You can easily pop it out. This will allow you to drop the tanks w/o ripping things out.

>If the plastic pipe is broken, you can obtain one from the dealer for about >$32.00, including the four grommets necessary to install the plastic pipe.

That's what I paid.

>Buy hose clamps of the stainless steel variety to fit the gas llines which >attach to the plastic pipe. Have a paia of snipper, or curved lip, cutters >to remove the factory-compressed clamps.

Watch out when removing the factory clamps at the expansion tanks. Don't twist off the nipple from the tank, like I did.

>The tricky part is to lubricate the grommets with graphite material AFTER >inserting them onto the "Y" pipe, and THEN find a very strong pair of hands >to insert, push, force or wrestle the grommeted pipe into the gas tank in >holes on top of both sides of the tank, the driver's and the passenger's.

I couldn't do this. I put the grommets into the tank first then pushed the Y plugs into the grommets.