Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:33:12 -0700
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca>
Subject:      Re: 90 Vanagon with intermittent (brake?) hiccups -- H

MORITZC@garnet.cla.sc.edu wrote: > > I have a 90 vanagon, which is having a funny problem. Once in a > while, while I am stopped for a while (such as at a traffic light), > the van jerks just slightly -- as if I had taken my foot off the > brake and then re-applied it, but faster than what I could do myself. > It also, occasionally, feels temporarily 'stuck' when I start up > again from a light. I'll be sitting at a red light, foot on the > brake, and when the light turns green, apply the accelerator, and > then it takes just a few seconds before the car moves at all -- as if > it were sitting on something sticky and had to break free. Neither > of these things happens with any consistency -- it's once or twice, > every few days. I'm concerned of course, that it might be the start > of something serious, especially since I have a hunch it may involve > the brakes. Can anyone give me any insights?

I think your hunch is correct. It seems that your rear (drum) brakes are binding and dragging. This would explain the small lurch after braking to a stop (dragging brake reacting to stress when stopped) and the reluctance to move after being stopped.

To test this supposition, after driving a mile or so (with minor brake application) put your hand on the brake drum and feel if it is warm/hot.

Larry '86 westy syncro