Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:11:42 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: SOLAR BLOCK HEATER FOR DIESEL

<< I am hoping that any of the list servers have had contact with a solar powered block heater or could pass on some words of wisdom. Please let me know. >>

Well..... I'm going to do a bit of speculating here, but if someone makes a 12VDC block heater, it should be able to be connected to a typical 12VDC solar panel. I'd guess that the problem will be the amount of power required to create a reasonable amount of heat will exceed the power output of a moderately sized solar panel. Typical solar panels (2' x 2' to 2' x 4') create only a peak of about 10 to 20 Watts. A large outdoor Christmas light bulb consumes about 9 Watts. Just going on gut-feel instinct, I doubt that 1 or 2 Christmas lights could keep your engine very warm in very cold temperatures. I'm sure that a block heater would be more efficient at changing electricity into heat than a light bulb, but I still doubt that you could create enough power from the solar panels. To find out, track down a 12VDC block heater (if one exists) and see how much power it draws. I'd guess 100 to 200 Watts. Compare this to the amount of power provided by the solar panel you find and you'll have the answer.

How about a diesel powered block heater?? Just keep the engine running. :)

Good luck, Jim Davis