Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Oct 1996 21:06:00 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: TriStar Syncro article

In a message dated 96-10-23 11:44:33 EDT, daukes@cds.eds.com (dean c aukes) writes:

<< Anyway, this morning he brought me a copy of an article out of the April 1990 Car and Driver magazine on a supposedly one-off TriStar Syncro. Somehow, I thought there was more one, but obviously not many. There's a quote from a VWOA person ("Volkswagen U.S.'s Vanagon chief) - "We don't see a market for the Tri Star at the price we'd have to charge for it." Supposedly that price would have been $35,000-$40,000. But this is a loaded vehicle - a concept car type. >>

At that time VW was "fishing" for potential market for this rig. Not long after they began importing them into Canada. I'm sure that they didn't sell many, but in 1991 could be ordered at any Canadian VW dealer. They did cost PLENTY!!

The feature that the TriStar had that would be especially difficult to obtain by trying to "upgrade" a dual-cab Syncro is its FOURTH door. Typical dual-cabs had a rear passenger door only on the right side of the truck, while the TriStars have rear passenger doors on both sides!! Wish I had one!!

Regards, Jim Davis