Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:30:56 -0400
From:         Tom Carrington <tcarrington@relitech.com>
Subject:      Diesel Vanagon conversion project starting.

Well, the time has finally come. Since it will soon be cold here in Maryland, I have started working on my engine conversion project. As a refresher for those who do not know, last Feb. I purchased a 1982 Diesel Westy with a sick engine, with the sole purpose of upgrading to a gas-powered engine.

I have also decided to chronicle this conversion on my WWW page at www.relitech.com/tomc/tomc.htm .

Sat, Oct 19: Assemble foldable engine hoist just purchased from Harbor Freight Tools. While not nesc for engine removal from van, will definitely come in handy when removing the 1.8l gas engine from the donor 1986 Golf.

Monday, Oct 21: Received my new Kodak DC-20 digital camera, and immediately started snapping pictures and basically acting foolish. Started to install the software on my PC to download the pictures from the camera to my hard drive, but I need a CD-ROM to install the software. My CD-ROM drive is at work..GRRRRR! I hate waiting to play!

Tuesday, Oct 22: Bring home CD-ROM, install software. Image quality from camera is far better than expected! Upload several images to new web page.

Wednesday, Oct 23: Roll van forward on driveway, remove accumulated topsoil from under the van's parking spot. 1st time van has moved in months! Hose off driveway and prepare to get busy.

Thursday, Oct 24: Remove splash pan from under engine. Drain oil. Drain coolant (what was left, that is..). Disconnect battery. Since I will remove the engine and tranny together, I undo shift linkages and disconnect CV joints. Start removing coolant hoses and wiring, paying careful attention to label absolutely nothing. :) While laying under engine, ponder exhaust system possibilities and tenatively decide to reuse stock diesel exhuast. Sure, I will sacrifice power, but it will still be better than the 48hp I had before!

Hopefully the engine will be out of the van, and on a stand by Sat. Then I can start pulling the engine from the Golf.

Thanks for listening! TomC tcarrington@relitech.com 82 Diesel Westy (changing soon...) 65 Notchback