Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:42:16 -0400
From:         RonaldK898@aol.com
Subject:      Re:vanagon stalling/propex heaters

Hi y'all !.. 2 subjects have recently been appearing on the list quite frequently, and I thought I'd join in regarding same... First... A lot of listmembers seem to be having the stalling/ lurching/poor running conditions in their later model Vanagons 86-90 models. I have an 89, and I'll relate my problem, and remedy. The van would always start quickly, and then idle somewhat roughly with slight surges in rpm while sitting still. As I drove away, and vehicle starts to warm up with temp needle to middle, for the first several miles, at each stop, it continued to idel somwhat rough as before, and as I started from a stop, or slowed position, the oil light lit, the engine started to stall, and I had to let off the gas, until it seemed the engine was catching again; or I'd throw gear into nuetral (AUTOMATIC), and it would allow me to rev up to higher rpms, whereupon I could throw into gear and hope to keep moving! After several miles of this,, it seemed to go away, and normal driving. However, If I ever stalled completely, It would re-start sometimes right away, or sometimes not at all for 30 minutes. I had replaced the plugs, the rotor, dist. cap, C02 sensor, and had checked timing alignment, flushed coolant, changed oil, you name it! Well, I had 2 last resorts, (I had a new ECU put in last Summer and discounted this)... it was my ig. coil, or my oil pump( tech bulletin said could cause valves to hang open)... I checked ohms with multimeter against Benley's stats, and found high resistance in one pair of contacts... I upgraded immediately as it says in Bentley to the GREEN label ignition coil, and bang, NO MORE PROBLEMS! Couldn't believe it. I'd checked everything, including archive discussions of problem including engine to ground cable being broken, 02 sensors, etc. you name it! All I can say is that when dealing with electronic ignitions, it can be anything in the loop! By the way,, I'd already also checked the throttle, and idle valves, the idle stablizer valve ( I took it off and hooked a big battery to it to see if it worked cause it didn't vibrate or hum and suggested it would), and it worked fine. . I checked electric to injectors. I could and WOULD go on adinfinitum, except CHECK THOSE OLD IGNITION COILS FIRST!.

Now, as for the Propex Heaters... I had written to Propex requesting infor, and their regionla acccount manager sent back a letter saying that the Compact 1600 heater is "about to be susperseded by an all new propane blow air heater-the Carver P4" He included the phone (wats) and address of local company for info on new heater.. herewith; Ssure Marine Services, Inc., Seattle Wash.. phone 800-562-7797.. Hope this helps out on heaters and with all you folks out there with irksome stalling and idle difficulties..

Ron Katz, Germantown, Tn.. Owner of White Cloud (89 Westy), and Caretaker of Mikey, The Genuine, Original Ozark Mountain Wonder dog.