Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Oct 1996 10:12:47 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@netbiz.net>
Subject:      FS '81 Deluxe Westy $2800

I'm considering selling the '81 I will list its pro's and con's

The good:

-Brand New (<5000 mile) AVP rebuilt 2.0 liter. -Tranny Replaced by PO from a "low mile" van (I only know that it is indeed replaced as it is marked by a junyard as an '82) oil looked clean when I changed it, does not leak. -Clutch Hydraulic System rebuilt (wonderful pedal feel now) -New brakes shoes and pads all round -All camping stuff present, deluxe trim level, ie propane stove, 12/110/LPG fridge -Canvas very nice (1-2 teeny holes by latch), poptop seal good -All fuel lines replaced when I installed motor -New engine seal, coil, cap, rotor -Heater boxes fair, solid but flanges in bad shape -flapper boxes solid -Front end rebuilt by PO (some true at least) -4 good tires but not reinforced, seem OK though

The bad:

-Propane seems to leak? to where? or the idiot I had fill it just didn't know how to fill. -Have not been able to start the fridge on LPG perhaps for above reason, PO claimed it was overhauled this summer. -Monza exhaust interfered with heater so he removed heater parts I have restored with custom fabbed and functional replacements, exhaust solid though, but cat long gone. -Interior good/fair really cut up for speaker installation, now removed, not really bad looking just annoying. -cargo carpet fair -Rear bed reupholstered in odd, but OK looking manner (professional)

The ugly:

This van has been hit on every single panel except the drivers door. Some are minor some not so, both rear fender areas pretty trashed, rear left panel caved a bit, left side seam rust, sliding door swiped, minor dings in passenger and rear hatch, nose swiped a bit

BUT the only true through rust is behind the front bumper the rest is actually solid and from a distance not noticeable. In fact the paint is holding up beautifully and no rust around windows.

I paid $600, engine was $1600 as core was damaged, I have about $400 more in incidentals likely and a lot of labor, so make me an offer. This is a real solid runing vehicle just not incredibly beautiful, and if you do your own bodywork, really not that bad, or one could just leave it. I will likely sandblast and epoxy prime the problem areas to stop their progression. I am severly interested in Erik O's Syncro and this is prompting my sale.

vwbus@netbiz.net John Anderson (304)788-3704 h (304)726-5189 w