Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 06 Oct 1996 11:34:56 EDT
From:         cpaohio@juno.com (Brian B Strange)
Subject:      Running on all three - the saga continues

Thanks for your earlier suggestions. It wasn't a moisture problem. Finally took it to the dealer and they report: it seems pressure in #3 cylinder is down to 30lbs. when it is hot, and not burning the fuel efficiently. Gas is getting into the oil and the fuel computer is confused, causing the plugs to carbon up something fierce. At 163k miles it's time for a new engine they say.

Talk to me about alternatives.

#1 Dealer will install a factory rebuilt for $3900. Long block is $2450 and labor the rest. Parts will swap off of my current engine. Warranty is for 12 months. Any knowledge about better prices and talent in the Cleveland area?

#2 Streetsboro Foreign Car (Streetsboro, OH - anyone with any experience/knowledge about them to share?) suggest another alternative. They have loads of wrecked parted out VW's and Vanagon's. He has 5 1.9 liter engines and for $1600 will install a re-conditioned engine. He tells me they will choose the lowest mileage engine (they are between 60k and 100k miles - all from wrecks) and make sure the compression is up to specs. They then pull the heads, inspect the valve seating and re-do the head gaskets to prevent the leaks that seem so common. They'll use the best components of my engine and replace the bad stuff. No specific warranty was mentioned but he said he'll stand by his work and has done 20 or so of these in the past 12-18 months. I'll ask about warranty more directly.

Please help me with your thoughts on alternative #1 vs. #2 or another creative solution. #2 seems quite reasonable and in keeping with the age of my van. I've replaced a lot of stuff over the years - alternator, fuel computer (shorted-out), water-pump, injectors, exhaust parts, muffler is decent, radiator is new, and it's lived in a heated garage and most of the miles are hi-way.

I just saw the notice however of an '84 Westy in Pennsylvania with 52k miles, at $4,500. Isn't it about time to have the heads go and do I remember this as an expensive repair? If available, this might be an interesting alternative. What's my 83.5 Westy worth with a bad angine?

Either e-mail me directly or through the list.

Thanks, Brian Strange '83 Westfalia (picked it up in Germany at its birthplace)