Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         03 Oct 96 12:25:25 PDT
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Rear Camber Adjustment, Vanagon

Reading the Vanagon list Archives I found reference to adjusting the rear camber as being relatively easy. Is this something a home mechanic can do? or does one need the specialized equipment of an alignment shop. I asked my local VW dealer, they indicated that it was difficult and expensive. I have been wearing out tires on the inside, enough to negate any warranty on the 37K I have gotten out of my 80K tires. (insert incessant whiny voice here: If the tires wear unevenly they are not covered in the warranty . . ). Even without the uneven wear I can't say that I recommend Sumitomo tires.

I can envision a relatively simple jig mounted on the side rear window with a vertical bar hanging down and measuring the top and bottom of the rim to determine camber. With the offset between these fixed positions providing a indication of angle, allowing adjustments to be measured. Assuming proper gas, water, oil loads on very level ground with tires properly inflated.

BTW, how DO you adjust the camber?

I need the front adjusted also. What are the possibilites of home mechanics doing this?

I keep getting unsubscribed to the Vanagon list somehow, so am only on the Type II list.

- Jeff + (2) '80 Westi's, '67 Sqbk, '64 Ford Crewcab, '87 Subaru 4WD Grass Valley, California, USA, Earth