Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:52:01 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@netbiz.net>
Subject:      Re: pitted cv problem decided

Randolph G. Shaner wrote:

> a lead on one locally here, and if that fails someone > ( sorry I forgot who) told me Transform sells them > rebuilt. I imagine in rebuilding they fill the pitts

Actually this was me, and Transform certainly can not weld the pits, as these are surfaced hardened. Their rebuilds are German rebuilt, excellent quality, about $40 each. I talked to the guy and he said that they in fact rebuild only from unworn races and new balls and cages. I find this amazing in fact as I've never seen a not severly worn race after 50k miles or so. I would more likely imagine their supplier overgrinds the races and uses oversized balls, rehardening the parts after grinding. They are coated as well with some sort of surface coating, and I have a 4 with over 50k on the rebuilds from a few years back. I've ordered like 12 from them in the last 5 years, but to tell the truth am not sure Transform still exists, the last I ordered were early this year and I have not seen them in the mags recently. Anyone know if they are out there? They also sell the excellent Swepco grease for like $10 a tube, noticeably stickier than regular moly or even VW moly CV stuff. If they are still out there I recommend their rebuilt CV's to anyone for budget minded repair.

Of course 2 of my vans are running day in day out on terribly pitted but reversed joints. Haven't failed them yet and all looked much worse than any Bentley manual "BAD" picture over 10k miles ago. But I am prepared to deal with one if it goes at nearly any time.

John vwbus@netbiz.net