Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 96 20:53:32 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      cup holders! getchur red hot cupholders rycheer!

On Thurs, 14 Nov 1996 Tom Forhan (for whom "pop-top" has an ENTIRELY different meaning!) said these words (or words to this effect):

>Hey! Stop laughing! This is serious!

<sniffle, choke, Guffaaaaw, Chortle!> :)

>My buddy's Carat came with all the original cupholders broken or >removed, and I'd like to get four for the Syncro Westie as well. >I saw the thread in the archives about OEM cupholders >being seen at K-Mart or Wal-Mart. Well, around here, no luck. >(1) Anybody seen any lately?

see below.

>(2) Where?

see even belower.

>(3) Are they really identical to the VW unit, or just similar.

just similar. possibly better, in one case.

here's the old info from my "what have i done to my bus" file:

drink holders: the best i have found are from Herringtons ... 1-800-622-5221 order number B832 = white/vertical, B833 =black/vertical. they have one that fits horizontal surfaces, too, but i couldn't make much use of it. now the gotcha: they are $9.95 EACH! yeah, well, i tried all the wal-mart and k-mart ones, but they just wouldn't hold a big enough drink cup ... like they hand out at the Mickey D's and such. so, after wasting money for several years, i broke down and bought the good stuff. these holders expand to hold almost anything. i put them in the back for the second and third seat people. in the front, for the driver and passenger, i used some Rubber Maid K-mart types that have a drink holder molded in with a ? holder ... sort of a two-compartment job, with a rubber flap to fix the thing into the window glass. i permanently fixed mine to the plastic heater cover (in front of the gearshift) with some more stove bolts (short ones) ... one drink-holder-thing on each side of the gearshift (leaving room for the gearshift to move around). not much of a reach down to get/put a drink, and it doesn't interfere with my right leg when driving.

>(4) Anybody actually buy one and know who the manufacturer is; >maybe I could contact them to find someone retailing them?

ok. back into the StoreRoom of my house. :) out with the examples of the yet-uninstalled cup holders (gee. i've only got NINE in my bus. i need at least TEN more to beat that dufus GM minivan (it has 17 cupholders. 17. that's SEVENTEEN! for a 7-passenger van. go figure).

the expensive one has on it's outer cover "Expandable" and on the back "made in Hong Kong". on the inside is "ITC Marine". the difference with with this one is that it has "jaws" to grip the cup/drink and those jaws can widen/expand about an inch to accomodate containers of about 3.5" (90mm) diameter. it has steel spring clips (to keep the jaws upright) and six pre-drilled holes in the back for mounting. availble in vertical or horizontal mounting. costly, but nice.

at Wal-mart, in the FISHING area (of course. why, it's not save to drive an automobile while drinking!!), is the $2.97 (your price may vary) one. quote: "Flip-Down Drink Holder * High-Tech Plastic Construction * Ideal for Boats, RVs, Vans and Other Vehicles Stock NO. 62128 Made in America Another Quality Product from WJB Industries * Clear Lake, Iowa 50428 * USA" it is approximately the same (mounting) size as the others (roughly 4" (10 cm) square), and has the six pre-drilled mounting holes, but uses plastic spring clips to hold the cup-holding-ring. in fact, i wouldn't call it a "cup-holding-ring", because i don't think a coffee cup would fit. the enclosed-circle holder is about 2.8" (75mm) in diameter and will hold only a soda/beer can or small bottle.

the next candidate was also bought at Wal-mart, but has on the cover "L S Brown Company" on the cover. when opened, it's identical to the WJB one above.

i recommend checking out the wal-mart ones, but i think you'll find that the more expensive one is that much better. just my opinion. ;)

joel