Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 1996 23:57:23 -0500
From:         TStone8359@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Mexican buses

Just returned from 10 days in Puerto Vallarta, Mex. Busses (they call them combis) and several varieties of bug were for rent at almost every car rental booth. We picked a bug that had been modified to be a convertable with a rollbar/sun roof combination. The top had been cut off from the windshield back to just above the engine cover. The back seat area was left open, but the from seat area was covered by a fiberglass piece that made up the rollbar at the door pillars and had an openong about the size of the later bug metal sunroofs. It was covered with a removeable piece of vinyl material.

It was a lot of fun driving around in the crazy traffic in PV with all the other bugs and busses. The engine was fuel injected and left a bit to be desired in the power department. We had several problems with the vehicle while we had it but fixed ourselves as part of the adventure. We had to push the car several times to get it started. The locals enjoyed seeing the tourists sweat.

We put 1200 km on the car. It got good mileage with the FI despite the open top. If you need a bug fix, or bus fix, Mexico is the place to go.

Stopped in to the VW dealer in PV. About a dozen new bugs on the lot. A new model, called the City, was on display. Came in red, blue, white and maybe other colors. Bumpers and headlight trim were same color as the car. No chrome moulding on doors or hood or running boards. City designation was a sticker on engine cover. Came with nice cloth seats and a fire extinguisher. Cost was something like $2400 down and $179 a month for 24 months, dealer financed.

They also had Golf and Jettas on the lot. Didn't recognize any differences from US models. Also had a single example of a Derby model. Looks like a shorter version of the Golf with a more rounded rear roofline. Not exactly handsome. It looks like the Polo that is sold in Europe.

Saw lots of older bugs and busses, splits window busses, bubble windows, and vanagons. Most interesting was a model of VW I had heard about but never seen. It was a rear engined air-cooled VW with a nose that looked like a 411/412 as a rear that didn't look like anything VW. Has louvers on the side like a squareback.fastback. Most examples were pretty ragged, so I would guess these were the same vintage as the 411/412.

A few interesting accessories seen on busses. Lots of roof racks. A few sun visors over the front windshield on bubble windows. A few customized campers with poptops, but not Westys. One had a sticker identifying it as a Bonanza. Some special side window/screen combinations for bubble windows.

Tom

'77 bus '85 Westy '87 GL