Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:27:31 -0800
From:         david kao <dtkao@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: VW of  A

Judson Cook wrote: > > Well my '91 Vanagon with 78,000 miles was diagnosed (by a VW dealer) > with blown head gaskets. ................................... VWof A > couldn't help me because I didn't have periodic services performed by a > VW dealership. Anyone have a suggestion? I know several people on the > list got help from VW of A. Were your periodic services done at a VW > dealership? > > Jud

My 83 westy went through this route once last year. VWoA paid 75% of the cost to fix the engine which had a leaky head gasket. The westy had leaky heads. Luckily the previous owner left me a few work receipts by a local VW dealer indicating the westy had the problem at less than 30k miles. When I took the case to VWoA it was already at 70k miles at 12 years old.

You need to contact your local BBB office to file a compliant. Call your local BBB and ask for Autoline. Then tell them the head gasket problem and tell them it's a known manufacturing defect of VW. They will mail you the forms to file a complaint. Once they receive your forms they will contact VWoA and get a deal for you. Befor I contacted BBB I called VWoA they refuse to do anything for me citing the age of the westy. But I provided all reciepts to prove that it had the problem since 30K miles and finally VWoA agreed to pay 75% of the cost to fix the engine.

The local VW dealer had the heads replaced with rebuild heads and had new gaskets installed. I still paid $500+ for the bill because the total bill was over $2500. I believe VWoA will offer a deal to you. In my case, they still collected $500+ from me. They did not lose much at all. The dealer did a clean, good job for me.

The previous owner had the westy serviced a few times by dealers. But I never took it back to any dealer. They never asked prove for services done by dealers. So far I did all the work for both my 83 westy and 84 vanagon.

David kAO

83 WESTY AND 83 VANAGON