Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 1996 06:42:14 +0000
From:         VWnut@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Re: Help Timing Diesel after replacing head gasket

> > The injector pump was a different story. The pulley didn't have a clear > mark for alignment. There were several dents around the pulley and they > each looked about the same. I took my best WAG and set the belt. The > engine turns over and over and over... No real combustion but there is > exhaust smell being produced. > Take a look at the holes on the pump pulley - one is slightly different (smaller I think) than the rest. This is the hole which Bentley describes for locking the pump at TDC. Find something as close in diameter (I use a 3/8" drive extension) as this hole, and insert it. Rotate pump until the hole in the mounting bracket lines up with the sprocket hole. If the item you use is a tight fit, it should be clear which sprocket mark is TDC. If it's a little loose, move the sprocket back & forth as far as it will go with the 'tool' inserted, then split the difference.

For it not to start at all, sounds like you're out at least one tooth. BTW, the mark on the sprocket can be a horiz. line, or a dot - I've seen both. Once you find it, out some white paint on it.

Shawn & Janis Wright '88 Westy (336k) '85 Jetta TD (361k) VWnut@smus.bc.ca (swright@smus.bc.ca) http://www.islandnet.com/~swright/vw.html