Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 1996 07:17:22 +0000
From:         VWnut@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Re: Knock, knock (who, or what's there?)

> I'm scared to ask, but... > > The last couple of times I've started my 85 I've heard 3 or 4 "knocks" as > soon as the engine turns, then it stops. I don't hear it at all after > that. Is something terrible about to happen?!?!?! > Sounds like lifter noise. Have you taken a few short trips lately, or not run the engine at all? Three things which seem to affect lifter noise: frequent short trips; letting the engine sit for a week or more; dirty oil.

I changed mine to synthetic Mobil 1 oil and noise went away - only time it comes back now is if I let the engine sit for 1-2 weeks or more (the oil drains out of the hydr. lifters)

It's not a big problem if it's only occurring for a few seconds at startup - but it's wise to try to reduce / eliminate the problem before it gets worse. Take the van for a good long drive to heat up the oil, then give it an oil/filter change. Try to avoid short trips where oil does not get hot enough to burn off combustion by-products.

Shawn & Janis Wright '88 Westy (336k) '85 Jetta TD (361k) VWnut@smus.bc.ca (swright@smus.bc.ca) http://www.islandnet.com/~swright/vw.html