Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:04:01 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Westy/Vanagon/xover parts sources

I'm forwarding a copy of the message I sent to Bob (pmail), since another subscriber (Lotus) had commented on the original "x-over pipe" thread.

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996 RFulg65717@aol.com wrote:

> Also, I need a cross-over pipe. What years are interchangeable for the '83 > Westy cross-over pipe? I have located a used one in Ca from a company called > help for $397, but that was two weeks ago and it is probably gone now.

If it was a x-over pipe for a Federal (non-CAL, CAN/USA) vehicle it's proabably gone! I just ordered the $397 part for my 82' Vanagon ... I need a functional CO test port and EGR filter connection to pass CAL smog emmissions requirements.

If you are not located in CA (don't need to meet CA smog requirements), there is another place in Canada that sells used x-over pipes. I don't have their address and phone at the moment, but can send later if you want. If you need parts that will meet CAL exhaust requirements, be very explicit in conveying what you want/need to the used parts place. It's been a struggle (especially with CAL suppliers) to get them to understand that there IS a difference between the exhaust systems of CAL and USA/CAN late model VW vehicles. You must also be very specific about having a COMPLETE unit. I was just sent a USA/CAN used x-over pipe in which the CO test port and EGR filter connection where removed and Bondo'd (?) over. This part is completely useless to me, and even if I could use it I seriously question how long the "band-aid" Bondo treatment will last.

If you haven't noticed yet, functional X-over pipes on older model VW's are a rare find. VW no longer makes them, and apparently nor does any third party manufacturer (as far as I have found).

Good Luck, Chris

P.S.; Another good source of exhaust parts houses is the California Bureau of Automative Repair (BART). Just tell them what your vehicle is, what you need, and they give you a list of places to call for potential parts. Can email this number also, if need.