Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:37:57
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (Ron Salmon)
Subject:      Re: CV advice needed

> I was driving around this weekend and noticed a small clack, clack, >clack when I made right-hand turns and applied power. I've never had a CV >joint go bad, so I'm not familiar with what that sounds like, but judging >from what others on the list have said it sounds to me like a bad CV >joint. Any other possibilities? Can I just repack them? Or do I have >to replace them? Has anyone priced these parts lately? What might I >need? Is there any way to better diagnose the problem?

Sounds like the sound my '77 made when one of the CV joints started to go. An old trick is to remove and reverse the CV axle. This moves the pressure to a different spot on the CV, and can solve the problem until a new wear spot develops, which can be a very, very long time. Repacking wouldn't hurt, either, especially if the boot is torn or their is indication that grease has been leaking out or contaminants getting in. You can get CV joint grease just about anywhere. Messy job, but not difficult. I would definately try these solutions before replacing. I did this on my '77, and when I sold it about 15,000 miles later the noise had still not come back. -Ron Salmon