Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 1996 19:22:24 -0500
From:         Jeff Diebolt <jdiebolt@up.net>
Subject:      Re: Help Timing Diesel after replacing head gasket

There are a few basics that will get you going again. First you probably have is crankshaft TDC. It actually on the pressure plate on the vanagon diesel in the middle of the V through the hole in the trans. Remove the big plug. The next one is the pump. The make to use is a groove on the pump side of the pulley. It will line up straight up and down with the pump. You will see a groove on the top of the pump bracket. Find a socket that is the same size as a hole on the pump gear. When you have the mark lined up push the socket into the hole in the gear and into a hole in the pump bracket. The gear will want to turn from the line up position you're trying to get it into, the socket will keep it in place. The last one is the camshaft. Remove the valve cover and set the cam so that both #1 valves are shut, look at #4. both valves will be open when you are on #1. On the back end of the cam there is a slot cut. Get a flat piece of metal that will fit into this groove. If it is too thin you will have to shim it between the head and the piece of metal. When you have a straight piece of metal across the plane of the head the cam is exactly on #1 TDC. Loosen the camshaft pulley bolt and tap it slightly with a hammer, it pops right off. Hand tighten the bolt. Pull the belt over the crank gear then the intermediate shaft gear then the pump gear then the camshaft gear. You may have to turn the pump gear slightly to get the teeth to line up with the belt. Tension the tensioner clockwise as you are looking at it from the back. Then torque the cam bolt to 33 Ft/Lbs. At 09:45 PM 11/24/96 -0600, Steven E. Broomhead, Sr. wrote: >Howdy and Help, > >I just replaced the head gasket on my 82 diesel. I didn't have the >tools that were shown in the Bentley. I tried to keep from moving the >crank, camshaft, or the pump...but things happen. I set the engine to >TDC and the camshaft, IMHO, was properly set (I didn't put a valve thru >a cylinder). > >The injector pump was a different story. The pulley didn't have a clear >mark for alignment. There were several dents around the pulley and they >each looked about the same. I took my best WAG and set the belt. The >engine turns over and over and over... No real combustion but there is >exhaust smell being produced. > >Is there any help for me or my diesel?? >-- > Steven E. Broomhead, Sr. ,============, .spew.. > "I am not Slow, I am /__||___||___|| .cough.. '82 Diesel > Velocity-Challenged!" | | |.sputter. Vanagon > `--()-------()-' >Its not the speed limit I worry about, its the minimum!!! > > Greetings from Michigan's Upper Peninsula Jeff & Jean-Marie Diebolt jdiebolt@up.net