Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Nov 1996 07:23:35 -0800 (PST)
From:         Beth Young <young@sherlock.sims.berkeley.edu>
Subject:      Re: Distributor Cleaning, Advice needed

Jeff:

I just dissassembled/re-assembled the distributor in my '81 so....

If you just want to clean/lube without getting into the distributor too far, I'd suggest getting some "dunk it"-type parts cleaner, (you know - that nasty stuff that kills brain cells), removing the O-ring that goes on the distributor shaft, and then rigging up a way to dunk the _lower_ part of the distributor in the cleaner. I'd be sure not to get the parts cleaner on the Hall effect terminal or the vacuum advance. I'm pretty sure this would get the mechanical advance mechanism cleaned up. After that, dunk it again (lower part only) in a small can of oil. There are holes in the botton of the distributor body that will allow oil to flow in and lube the mechanism.

It isn't _too_ difficult disassembling the distirbutor. You need some snap-ring pliers to get the clips off, then *carfully* use 2 screwdrivers through the "windows" of the rotor to remove the rotor itself. Watch out for the _tiny_ pin that sits between the rotor and the distributor shaft to keep the rotor for spinning on the shaft.

The harder part is finding Bosch distributor parts. A local FLAPS ordered a "kit" for me which is full of washers, small clips, etc. but the kit wasn't "complete" for my distributor, i.e., it didn't have every single small piece my distributor contained. (Luckily, it had the part I needed.)

One thing this kit doesn't have is the C-clips that hold the rotor in place on the shaft, so be carefull removing them. The top C-clip in my distributor was so rusted, it broke when I tried to remove it. Had a hell of a time finding a metric C-clip that would replace it.