Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:52:02 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Steven Johnson" <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Propex: Starting the Installation

So Tom Forhan says: > > The instructions show, as a sample installation, the air inlet directly > above the outlet. Since warm air rises, it would seem this would cause > the heated air to get drawn back into the furnace. I'd rather see the > inlet as far down toward the floor as possible, and the outlet above it. > Another option would be to put the outlet near the center of the van, > and have the inlet off to the right side, near the door. You only run > hose from the furnace to the outlet, the inlet simply allows airflow > into the area under the seat.

I mounted the thermostat on the closet just below the level of the speaker on the adjacent panel.

I drilled the air inlet on the bench kick panel to where if you look on the inside, it's just above the computer box. I didn't route a hose to it as shown in the Propex diagram. Since I wanted the heat outlet as short as possible (heat transfers poorly), I put the hole in the kick panel just between the aux. heater box cover and the Propex heater. This gave the shortest possible hose run to the heater outlet itself.

> > >From the instructions, here is what you should either dig up in the > basement, borrow from your unca', or go shopping for: > > Power drill and your usual drill bits > > Usual screw drivers > > 1" hole saw, or 1" bit. For cutting through the floorpan > for the combustion inlet and exhaust; it needs to be able to > cut metal.

Uhhh... This should be a 1.5" hole saw. > > 2" hole saw - for wood. This one is my suggestion for Westies, and not > mentioned in the instructions. Propex shows the exhaust passing > through a metal floor, but in my Westie it will have to pass through > the wood floor of the underseat compartment before going through > the metal floorpan. I examined the exhaust pipe, and it is not double > walled. So to insulate the wall of the exhaust pipe from the wood, > I want to open up the wood portion of the hole through the floor > so that it never touches the exhaust pipe. I'd like to hear opinions on > this...

I just used the 1.5". I don't think the exhaust will get hot enough to cause problems with the wood. I went to about 10 places to find the 1.5" metal hole saw.

> 3 3/4" hole saw: for cutting out the air inlet and outlet holes in the > wood/laminate front face of the rear seat. I suppose you could do this > with that wobbly, jumpy hand-held jigsaw, but I'll just use my hole saw. > Call around, I found this item at a wholesale plumbing supply store, my > fourth stop in the quest.

I found mine at a power tool outlet place. Be sure that the hole saws come with a center tap for a guide. Forget using a jigsaw.

> 1/4 copper tubing. I got ten feet, probably twice as much as I need, but > it allows for one major error.

Get a 20 foot one for when you do f**k up.

> Tubing cutting tool. The ones I like have cutting blades on both sides, > and are called "minimum clearance" or something like that. They are > designed for work in small, cramped spaces, like VW buses. > > Silicon sealant. This is used for sealing the holes in the floor pan.

The heater should have come with this???? Mine did. Maybe I ordered it, but I don't remember doing so.

> (4) hook up the power to the aux battery system you installed last > weekend ;-).

You should run, at least, a couple extra wires behind the fridge so that if you need more for other uses, then you don't have to pull the fridge again.

Good Luck!

Steven