Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         26 Nov 1996 11:32:40 -0800
From:         "Wiesner Craig" <Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Subject:      Aux Battery

I have been having one hell of a time with my charging system. I hooked up a powerful stereo to the Aux Battery under the drivers seat, as well as fog lights and a back-up light.

Problem #1. I can easily take out the main battery by sliding the passenger seat back and turning it around to face the front. How do I take out the Aux battery? When I turn the driver seat to the side there is still not enough room. The steering wheel prevents turning it towaerd the rear. It looks like I need to remove the seat to remove the battery.

Problem #2. When I drive in alot of stop-n-go traffic the Aux battery was running down to nothing. I checked the battery. It is fine. I put a voltmeter on the alternator at idle and it reads 13.8v. I put it on the posts on the isolator and they read 12.9v! I am losing a volt in the friggin isolator! I tried different isolators, same result. I then by passed the isolator and wired the charge wires to both batteries directly to the alternator. This was working fine. I figured if I stop to camp for a while I would remove the negative post from my main to prevent drainage. Then someone tells me that I could blow up one of the batteries with this set-up due to different charging needs and possible over charge of one battery. So now I have the main battery on the Aux post on the isolator ( supposed to be switch on and off with the engine, 4-post isolator) and both the Aux Battery and the alternator hooked together on the alternator post on the isolater. Now my Aux battery is fine, but my main is slightly under charging in stop and go!

Any suggestions or ideas? I have read all of the posts on Aux batteries and none has mentioned an under charging problem. Will the batteries blow if I leave them connected together?

Thanks, - Craig

'86 Syncro Westy