Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:37:49 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: Syncro on the Dunes?

Well, I haven't done dunes and don't have a syncro but my friend Jeff and I discovered why dune-buggies have those wide tires and/or the difference between wet sand and dry sand... We had his family's 1300 and drove out the boat launching ramp on Hood's Canal at low tide, and having seen too much TV, drove the Beetle out onto the sand and toward the 4 inch tall waves... as we got to the area where the sand was wet, the Beetle's rear wheels gently sank into the wet sand until it was resting on the oil-pan & bottom of the chassis. Then the tide began to come in... We left the engine running as the tide came in. The car was 30 feet 'off shore', in 8" of water or so, and showing no signs of floating, when the tow truck guy arived. He pulled the car out in a minute or two.

4wd would have just dug-in the front wheels too.

One might have similar problems on a steeply sloped dune, and not have a tow so readily available. Be careful!

Bill