Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         26 Nov 1996 14:10:03 -0800
From:         "Wiesner Craig" <Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Subject:      RE: Aux Battery

............................................Bentley Manual and used a 40 amp relay ($10.00). The relay is switched with the same wire connections used for the existing camping gear relay. The power side of the relay can be taken from the camping relay power post but I ran a separate 6 guage wire from the main battery +ve post because I thought it might be safer to not overload the existing wiring. For added safety I included a 40 amp fuse between this 6 guage wire and the 40 amp relay. This setup can never drain your main battery from anything connected to your auxiliary battery. Likewise only your main battery is connected when starting the engine. This setup also ensures that the auxiliary battery is only charged when your main battery is fully charged.............

This sounds like a great solution, but I do not understand the connections and how they are isolated. I basically have only three wires to contend with:

1) Wire from the main battery + post to the back for charging 2) Wire from the Aux battery + post to the back for charging 3) Wire from the alternator for charging the battteries

The relay is like a switch. I understand if I put a switch/relay in line from the main battery to the alternator that: 1) is closed when the key is on and 2) opens when the key is off that I will not drain the main when I am parked, but how do I prevent from blowing-up the battery that is over charging. Do I wire the batteries together, +post to +post and put the relay between and only run a wire from the alternator to the main? Wouldn't this just charge until the main was full and none for the Aux? RELAY GRND ______o/_o___________________________ l l l l l l l l - + GRND__ - + I I__________I I__________I __I__ I AUX I I MAIN I I ALT I I I I I I I