Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Nov 1996 20:53:32 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 15" or 16" wheels on the Syncro?

In a message dated 96-11-04 20:15:07 EST, puusital@adobe.com (Paul Uusitalo) writes:

>I know this subject has been kicked around before, but I've never seen >these specific questions answered: > >Has anyone on the list upgraded their Syncro to 15" or 16" wheels?

With a 27" wheel in the wheelwell, there's not all that much room to move up to a larger tire. I think a 29' would be about the limit presuming you don't want to do some serious trimming on your van's fenders.

Also, if you're doing much driving in low gear (like off-road or trying to get unstuuck) then adding larger sized wheels will make the gearing higher and reduce the ammount of torque you can apply to the ground. Also going down steep off-road downhills I often wish I had lower gearing. Larger tires would worsen this problem. Of course the gearing in the differentials could be changed, but I can only imagine how much $$$!!! those parts would cost.

>Also, does anyone know the any of the details regarding the optional 16" >wheels available on German Syncros - such as specs, construction (steel or >alloy), whether they have matching hubcaps - etc? Will these wheels fit >within the stock wells used on US Syncros?

My understanding is that the 16" Syncros were much more than a different set of wheels. I believe the suspension/shocks were different as well as the gearing. If you find out anything along this front, I'd love to hear about it.

Regards, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg