Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Nov 1996 14:10:24 +0200
From:         zeidler@NTCNTG02DU.ntc.nokia.com (Zeidler Helmut NTC/Dusseld.)
Subject:      Re: Battery Relay for Aux. Battery.

The battery relay for AUX. batteries is only for disconnecting it from the primary battery in that way, that the starter battery can not be discharged during camping. The AUX. is always switched into the camper's circuits and the primary is always switched into the car's circuits.

But there are two problems (at least on my camper): The relay is powered by turning the ignition key. So the AUX. battery is switched into the car's circuits during the engine start process. The AUX. is discharging the primary during this time but this is not the intention of the disconnecting relay.

Deep circle batteries should be charged by a limited current to guaranty a long life time. A simple relay have no current limiter and when it is powered the first time and connecting two batteries with different charge there will be a very high charging current only limited by the inner resistance of the batteries. That is why you have to use a 40 Amps relay.

I prefer a electronic charging device which will operate during 'ignition is ON' and 'battery indicator is OFF' and charges the AUX. battery with a well know current.

A tiny diode connected to the relay coil is for preventing electronic drivers from high voltages which comes up in revers polarity during unpowering the relay.

Helmut '80 Camper ---------- >From: drew To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: Re: Battery Relay for Aux Battery. Date: Wednesday, 27 Nov, 1996 21:22

I must interject that I read in horror about this relay every time it is mentioned on this list because of the idea that list members will try to use it to connect and disconnect their auxiliary batteries. I don't like this relay for this purpose for about five major reasons, none of which I have the time to comment on here a this time, but here is a really crudely written, hasty try:

1. The relay is too small to switch in a big battery for starting purposes, and also too small to operate auxiliary items that drive a lot of power, like 12 volt chainsaws, winches, or killer stereos. I prefer to use 600 amp/200 amp relays from Wrangler and wire things up with 2 aught (spelling) cable.

2. The relay hookup presumed with this thing is to disable the drivers side battery when the vehicle is off, yet an optimal setup disables the *passenger side* battery when the vehicle is turned off. Here really important: the drivers side battery is the deep cycle model, and so should be on duty when the car is not running, not the other way around.