Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Nov 1996 16:29:14 +0200
From:         zeidler@NTCNTG02DU.ntc.nokia.com (Zeidler Helmut NTC/Dusseld.)
Subject:      Re: Air bags & VWs

Ric wrote: >We wouldn't have had to heard about last night's tragedy if our so-called >elected representatives in Washington DC had some minimum amount of >testicular fortitude and did what the rest of the industrialized countries >do and that is mandate the use of seatbelts.

I agree, in Germany you have to use seat belts or you will be charged by a high penalty. Air bags are optional features on cars and do not preserve you from this penalty. Not every car comes with air bags but without it cars are poorly to sale. If you have to order air bags as an option (and everybody does) it will cost DM 400.- (only driver) to DM 1,200.- (both sides). Most cars have air bags as standard.

>Instead, we have to spend an additional $1,500 per car for something that >was not propely thought out,

Agreed, but only in that way that air bags comes out without an accident or not coming out during an accident. Or often the electronics shows failures like inoperable systems.

>obviously is deadly to kids (as well as those >adults of below-average height),

I do not agree: Air bags are most dangerous to kids sitting in back faced baby cases. When the bag comes out this cases are kicked to the back and will hit the headrest. Adults of below-average high, not wearing a seat belts, could be pushed below the bag. But wearing a seat belt, they have neck musculature resisting the fall into the bag. I guess older kid would do same but I will read the air bag articles again.

>and is only in our cars because most >drivers are stupid enough NOT to wear seat belts. All in the name of >"personal choice"...bullshit...

Do you have details about this incident last night?

Helmut '80 Camper