Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Nov 1996 08:54:09 -0600
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor@phoenix.net>
Subject:      Re: Air bags & VWs (Little Vanagon Content): & Political Commentary

I am on my soapbox now volks, so delete NOW if uninterested. The entire air-bag SNAFU is certainly endemic of our government moving forward with little common sense nor logic as they try to protect "We the People". I just purchased a 1996 Suzuki 4dr 4wdr Sidekick as a company vehicle and the difference in the cost from 1995 to 1996 was over $2,000 with LESS equipment. This was nearly 100% attributable to the added two airbags and anti-lock brakes. As these were not options, these increased my loan around 7 months. I was told my government that I MUST purchase these to save my self. Now I am being told by this same government that I must now pay AGAIN to have the pass side air bag disconnected that I might carry my 3 yr old or 4 month old in the front without fear of this same airbag they forced me to buy for $2000, might KILL them. I am confused here, and by the way, out about $2,000 plus 5 years interest on same. Can someone help me out here. I am not "Progressive" enough to understand how I am actually being helped? Any "Progressives" AKA Liberals who believe in the wisdom of thier federal government to so act upon our citizenry are welcome to enlighten me. It will be tough however. This sitution will probably be resolved as a result of the deaths of these children, but what of them? Are they just fodder to streamline the system. I dare say not, rather, logical, common sense thinking could have avoided this entire situation. And what of my $2,000 plus interest? Any of you volks care? I certainly do. This situation is endemic in us trusting our government any farther than we can shoot them! For if we do, beware, because they can shoot farther! I thank God on this day of Thanksgiving to Him that my children have not been harmed by an ill-designed passenger side bag as they have ridden up there, as I know that it is only Him that can save the life of my child, not US (Uncle Sam).

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless You All Mark B. Magee '87 GL 76K